The original brick home was built in 1753 by pioneer John McElwrath and stands just a few yards from the main house, a stately Federal style home complete with a two-tier portico built in 1818.
The second owners of the plantation were the Chambers family who expanded the cotton plantation from 4,000 acres to 12,000 acres. The Chambers family occupied the plantation until 1903 when it was sold and resold many times and was in disrepair when in the 1950’s Harry Gatton, a North Carolina preservationist began to restore it, adding electricity and plumbing.
Dr. Meredith Hall first saw the plantation in 1969 and shortly after purchasing it he named it Darshana – a Hindu word that signifies a positive feeling when people meet. The house was in good shape by then thanks to the restoration Mr. Gatton had done. Dr. Hall began restoring other buildings on the property including the brick wall that surrounded all the plantation buildings.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Since then, the Hall’s have added the south wing to the 1818 house, which contains the “Great Hall” with 23-foot ceilings, a gallery, three fireplaces and 17 columns. The great hall makes a grand location for an indoor wedding, reception or other gala events.